NYS DCJS Training Waiver
This form is provided as a courtesy to our visitors and is to be used to apply for waiver of required training for security guards. Any and all questions with regard to waivers should be directed to the Division. Peeler Group International’s Training Division will provide needed in-service training to those who qualify for waiver of training.
NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services
Office of Public Safety – Security Guard Program
80 South Swan Street
Albany, NY 12210
If you have any questions regarding this form, call (518) 457-4135 for assistance.
The following law enforcement personnel are exempt from the 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course for Security Guards, the 16 Hour On-the-Job Training Course for Security Guards and/or the 47 Hour Firearms Training Course for Armed Security Guards and should contact the Department of State, Division of Licensing directly at (518) 474-7569. DO NOT complete this form.
- Active Police Officers (as defined by Criminal Procedure Law (CPL) §1.20(34)),
- Former Police Officers*,
- New York State Correction Officers (NYS DOCS) as defined in CPL §2.10 (25).
- Bridge and Tunnel Officers, Sergeants, and Lieutenants from the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority as defined in CPL §2.10 (20),
- Uniformed Court Officers and Court Clerks of the Office of Court Administration as defined in CPL §2.10(21)(a)(b), and
- Sheriffs, Undersheriffs, and Deputy Sheriffs of the New York City Sheriff’s Office and sworn officers of the Westchester County Department of Public Safety as defined in CPL §2.10 (2).
Peace officers not specifically named above may apply for a waiver of the 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course for Security Guards, the 16 Hour On-the-Job
Training Course for Security Guards and/or the 47 Hour Firearms Training Course for Armed Security Guards.
Peace officers, not specifically named above, seeking a waiver of the 47 Hours Firearms Training Course for Armed Security Guards must be:
- Authorized to carry a firearm in the performance of their official duties.
- Been employed in such capacity for at least 18 months.
- Possess a valid certificate awarded pursuant to subdivision six of CPL §2.30 attesting to his or her successful completion of the training requirements imposed by CPL §2.30. A certificate shall remain valid:
a) during the holder’s continuous service as a peace officer;
b) for two years after the date of the commencement of a separation of service where the holder had, immediately prior to such separation, served as a peace officer for less than two consecutive years; or
c) for four years after the date of the commencement of a separation of service where the holder had, immediately prior to such separation, served as a peace officer for two consecutive years or longer.
*Police and peace officers who have been retired for more than 10 years at the time of application must complete the 8 Hour Annual In-service Training Course for Security Guards.
Retired or former police and peace officers who are applying for a special armed guard registration card who have not completed initial firearms training within the twelve months prior to employment as a security guard, must complete the 8 Hour Annual In-service
Training Course for Armed Security Guards prior to applying with the Department of State, Division of Licensing Services.
DCJS reserves the right to require further documentation as necessary to properly classify and/or verify the information and experience contained herein.